Share this love note using the links below
I don't know about you but throughout January I have really been feeling the urge to get back to basics. 'Ease' has been a recurring mantra for me, a desire to just simplify everything and let go of what's not serving me. Have you felt it too?
I'm not sure if it's a way of recovering from a busy Christmas season or if I am intuitively starting to prepare for spring, but either way it's feeling really good. I've cleared out my office and made space for more creativity and action. I've turned inward and committed to a daily practice of meditation and journaling to help keep me sane and I've dropped little behaviours that were turning into major distractions.
Yes, it feels so good.
Some tips for simplifying your life...
1. Meditate and get present
I have shared recently about how meditation has had a profound impact on my life. By being present in the current moment we slow down our thoughts, which in turn leads to greater clarity and focus. Even just 5 minutes a day of quiet time can have a big impact. If you haven't tried meditating before but would like to give it a go, Headspace is a great resource (thanks to the lovely Becky from accooohtrements for highlighting it).
2. Stop procrastinating
Twitter, Pinterest, Facebook, checking your emails, playing Candy Crush, watching vlogs on Youtube. Whatever you find yourself doing repeatedly, call yourself out and stop. It's fine to love social media but limit your usage. Allow yourself to only check your inbox twice a day.
Beware of reading blogs or using Pinterest 'in the name of research or inspiration'! Sure, for many of us these are great tools to help with our work but learn to identify when activities are useful and when they are stopping us from getting things done.
3. Clear the Clutter
Your desk, wardrobe, kitchen table, email inbox. Most of us have an area where the stuff of daily life builds up. Having a clutter-free space helps us to focus and feel at ease. Spend 30 minutes each day having a quick tidy up and you'll be amazed at the difference!
4. Say no
Ah, I can hear the 'people-pleaser' in you gasping right now. Learning to say no is one of the most liberating and joy-inducing acts we can do. Say no to the things that don't light you up, make you feel the way you desire or that you are only doing out of a sense of obligation or expectation. Leave room for all the things that make you come alive.
Over to you - are you feeling the need for 'ease' right now? How are you simplifying your life?
Ps - if you like this post you are welcome to share it with your friends using the button below :)
I have meditated on and off for around 2 years but it's only been more recently that I have really committed to making it a daily practice.
How I Meditate
My daily practice is split into 2 parts - morning and evening.
Each morning, after everyone has gone to school and work, I set aside 20 minutes to sit in meditation. My precise practice varies depending on how I am feeling - sometimes I simply sit in silence, sometimes I use guided meditations and other times I meditate by repeating a mantra.
On an evening, I meditate for a short time in silence in bed to help me release whatever has happened that day.
In addition, I also use specific guided meditations if I feel there is an issue or area of my life I need to work on.
Changes to my life
1. I'm worrying less - This is a huge thing for me. I have always struggled with anxiety, tending to focus on the negative or make anxious predictions. Since I have started regularly meditating I have found I am much calmer. That's not to say I don't ever worry - but I am more aware of this behaviour so I can spot when I am anxious and do something about it.
2. I'm more in tune with my natural rhythm - I used to be very focused on achieving that elusive state of 'balance'. Since starting to meditate I am more aware of my natural flow, learning when to hit the ground running or put my foot on the brakes. As a result I am utilising my more productive times and getting more done. I'm also more aware of when a certain area of life needs more of my attention.
3. I am more self-accepting - Mediation has helped me to turn inwards, separating myself from my problems. I'm able to take a more objective view of the the things that are troubling me, letting go of the things that aren't serving me and making space where needed. I'm learning to drop my need for perfectionism and accept that I am flawed... and that's more than ok.
4. I've dropped pointless distractions - I've replaced time-wasting activities and procrastination with meditation and journalling. Meditation keeps me grounded and helps me realise which activities serve me and identify those that don't. Gone is wasting time watching pointless vlogs on Youtube, surfing gossip or news sites and overloading myself with information that doesn't benefit me.
5. I have a new sense of clarity and purpose -Turning inwards has helped me get in tune with my desires. I'm able to cut through the things I feel I should do (fear of expectation, judgement, failure) and redefine the rules to work towards creating my life with intention and purpose. I'm more able to focus on how I want to feel and make changes to reflect that.
Have you tried meditation? I'd love to hear about your experience so leave a comment and let me know!
I hope that 2015 is treating you well so far. Personally, I'm super excited for where this year is headed and the journey I am on to discover what it means to Flourish.
I spent the last few weeks of 2014 streamlining my business and offerings and today I am excited to reveal the first of them to you! (Stayed tuned tomorrow for another big reveal).
:: NEW :: COACHING PACKAGES
Those of you who have been around for a while will know that in 2013 I made the decision to train as a life and business coach. Well today I am super excited to be able to open up some spaces in my coaching practice. I'm offering two different package types: life coaching and business coaching. Be sure to scroll down to the bottom of this post for a special offer just for you.
Maybe you are feeling frustrated, stuck, overwhelmed, disconnected. Trapped in a constant loop of comparison, judgement and expectation, with a soundtrack of 'I'm not good enough' for company.
Perhaps you keep striving for the next thing (the better job, relationship, house, losing those few pounds) but when you get there it's never enough - life still isn't how you want it to be.
I'll guide you to find a new perspective - to open your eyes (and your heart), to let go of those things you need to release and move forward with ease, excitement and hope for the future.
I will provide you with the practical tools and insightful guidance you need to move forward and make real change.
ARE YOU :
- an artist or creative looking to turn your hobby into a full-time business?
- a bright, passionate entrepreneur wanting to launch your big idea?
- a coach, consultant, creative, artist, writer looking to find your authentic voice and grow a following?
- overwhelmed with where to begin when it comes to launching your business?
- in need of someone to help keep you pushing forward - to the next stage and beyond?
THAT'S WHERE I COME IN.
I’m here to help you step up and intentionally design a life and business so freaking awesome you will wake up everyday pinching yourself to check if it’s real.
:: EXCLUSIVE READER OFFER ::
I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for this blog and you, my lovely readers. So I would love the chance to give something back to you, which is why I am offering a discount of 10% off the package price on any life coaching package or business coaching package - when booked before the end of January 2015.